This townhouse, built in 1886, was fully gutted and converted into the owner’s unit placed above a one rental apartment and a medical psychotherapy office. The programmatic layout of the owner’s apartment takes advantage of space by layering uses vertically on four levels. The second floor entrance level of the unit contains a library and guest quarters. The third floor level contains the sleeping areas. The fourth floor level contains the living areas. The rooftop level contains a glazed studio space which opens onto patio areas to the north and south. A dramatic steel and wood stair, with cantilevered treads, connects the different levels and acts as a central feature of the residence. Throughout the day, natural light filters down the stairwell from the roof top studio creating patterns on the Venetian plaster wall.